Monday, November 28, 2011

Preparing to upgrade Sharepoint 2007 to SP2010

Well, after about 3 months worth of testings and preparations, I am about to upgrade our midsize SP2007 to SP2010 this coming weekend.  I will be doing a database attached method on a newly created "production" SP2010 farm.  In short, this is what I have:
  • 2 x WFE (HyperV VMs)
  • 4 x App Servers - Index, Enterprise Apps, SSRS, Project, SSAS, TFS (all HyperV VMs)
  • Clustered SQL 2008 R1 Servers (Physical)
We have about 10 databases totalling ~200GB.  This is going to take 2-3 hours to complete.  I know some of you would tell to do parallel upgrade.  I have tried that but have seen quite a bit of lock message on the SQL server.  To keep it safe, I am going to do this one-by-one.  At the moment, my newly created farm already has all the required custom applications/solutions deployed.  Since I have been doing mark-up db-attached on this farm for weeks, I have already documented/resolved any issues before hand.  On the day of the migration, here is what I am planning to do:

  1. Update the DNS to redirect all incoming traffic to a temp server
  2. Update MS Exchange to hold incoming email and than change the seetings to point to the two new WFEs.
  3. Backup the DBs from SP2007 servers restore it to the new cluster SQL
  4. Attached the restored DBs and grant the SP accounts the proper permissions
  5. Perform the upgrade one by one using Mount-sPContentDatabase.  When this is all done, I should be able to hit the sites.
  6. Re-deploy all the solutions
  7. Run the "Enable Features On Existing Sites" option to push down all the enterprise features.  If I don't do this, I've noticed that some of my SP2007 workflows would break.
  8. Run TEST-SPContentDatabase to see if there are issues.  Chances are I would see some but as long as not show-stopper, I am okay with it.
  9. I take this opportunity to move/re-locate any site collections to the proper content database... just to keep thing organized.
  10. Have a few users "smoke" test it.
The above are just high level view of what I'll be going thru.  There are alot more steps.  I will post the actual result and finding once I am done upgrade.

Cheers...

No comments:

Post a Comment